Friday, January 24, 2014

Shut Down Bangkok!

Huzzah! After a short layover in Taipei, Taiwan, where a Taiwanese dude informs me "$5 goes a long way in Bangkok", I land in said city at 2:30am. A quick snooze on the airport seats passes some time before I begin my search for the hostel. Turns out it's next to the great pillar that is Victory Monument, also the epicenter of the Bangkok Protests ongoing with the motto "Shut Down Bangkok". Evidently a lot of Bangkokians (?) aren't too fond of the prime minister and are doing all they can to prevent a reelection. At least they are peaceful protestors...I think.

Early morning at Victory Monument and the protestors are stirring

There's a miniature tent city in the area surrounding Victory Monument, and though I've been told a few explosives have gone off near the monument, I guess there was no intention of harming anyone. Sounds like they're walking on thin ice with that one! As I seek out my destination I inquire from a couple of locals and they are very friendly - eager to help me find my way. While there is a language barrier, a couple of gestures and finger points has me where I need to go: down an alley, beneath an enormous sign that says simply "The Brain". The hostel is a little oasis from the constant blare of loudphones and protest jams (those protestors like to rock out). For a moment I collect my thoughts and begin to plan my next move whilst munching on a tiny banana.

All sorts of Bangkok folk camped out  listening to a Thai woman wail some tunes on the mic

No comments :

Post a Comment